I have a whole series of images showing my progress on this piece, which I will upload once I’m finished. This is my 4th sculpture (or 3rd, if you don’t count the one I scrapped) and is inspired by the Krampus. The Krampus is usually depicted as male, so obviously that had to change. This is a fat-positive project, helping to show that all women, regardless of shape and size (or demonic background) can be beautiful and sexy.
So, I was sketching one day, incorporating aspects of myself into the body of a cartoon pig, and came up with this. I took it into illustrator for inking and color. I really love this. Well, I love pigs in general, but I particularly love this illustration. I have another one that I will display shortly, where the pig is dancing. Originally, I was going to re-design my site with this sort of theme in mind, but then I came up with look of Ether Bound and felt that was a better plan.
The ETH is an acronym for “Extra-terrestrial Hypothesis”. However, some tend to forget that the word “hypothesis” is in there when they rattle off these 3 letters. This is a reminder.
I had been wanting to create a typography block for some time and had decided on one that was dedicated to queer women in design, using words that I felt helped empower. This is the result of that endeavor. The layout was done in Illustrator and the final output was finished in Photoshop using a paper texture, lighting source, and layer blending.
You can see the raw vector image, here.
I have always harbored a deep love for the Hellraiser films, the first of which was based off the novella “The Hellbound Heart” by Clive Barker. I lost most of my interest after Hell on Earth (though, admittedly, Bloodlines is unique), but still adore the first two films.
Here is a (loose) replica of “The Box” which I constructed in 1996. This was at a time when the Internet wasn’t the glorious encyclopedia that it is today, and photos of the box were scarce. So, using some imagination and screenshots from the original two films, I created my own box to relative scale. I had a little trouble with some of the patterns, since some panels were less prominent in the film, so I used a bit of creative freedom to finish it off.
Build and Design
The model was made out of a cereal box, which I used to create the cube. I then reinforced it with electrical tape and a spray-on laminate. After the basic cube had been built, I went to work on the face plates. Upon finishing 3 panels (the panels repeat: 3 = 6), I went to Kinko’s and had the designs transferred to adhesive paper. After adhering the panels to the cube, and a few colored pencils later, I had completed the design and gave it a final dusting of laminate to seal everything up.
When I first built this, I wasn’t sure how well it would hold up, but over the years it has done exceptionally well. The above photo was taken today – the box remains much the same as when I had first designed it. Also visible in the photo is the original panel layout that I had transferred to adhesive paper.
I was pretty proud of this little project and how I used what I could find around the house. I must’ve done something right because it’s still in one piece!